THE NEXT GENERATION PAVEMENT
WARM MIX ASPHALT
A TRULY SUSTAINABLE PAVEMENT TECHNOLOGY
The enhanced workability of warm-mix can facilitate using increased Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP) contents, which translates into even greater cost savings.
WMA IS AN EXCITING DEVELOPMENT IN ASPHALT TECHNOLOGY, ALLOWING PRODUCTION AND PLACEMENT OF ASPHALT PAVING AT COOLER TEMPERATURES THAN HOT MIX ASPHALT (HMA).
Asphalt pavements make up an overwhelming majority of paved roads in the world. The predominant technology for constructing these pavements is hot-mix asphalt (HMA), and it is currently the largest enduse of energy in most developed countries. HMA has been traditionally produced at a discharge temperature between 140°C and 180°C, resulting in high energy (fuel) costs and production of greenhouse gases. With growing environmental concerns and ever-increasing budgetary constraints, the use of Warm-Mix asphalt (WMA) is on the rise since it addresses both issues. WMA allows the producers of asphalt pavement material to lower the temperatures at which the material is mixed and placed on the road. Reductions of 30 to 50 °C have been documented. Such drastic reductions have the obvious benefits of cutting fuel consumption and decreasing the production of greenhouse gases. Engineering and construction benefits include better compaction of pavements; the ability to pave at lower temperatures, extending the paving season; and the potential to be able to recycle at higher rates.
Reduce Construction Time
Increase Recycling Rate
Reduce Burning Fuel Usage
Reduce Harmful Emmisions
PATENT NO. 200910172146
RH-WMA is a polyethylene wax based asphalt binder additive produced from cross-linked polyethylene. It is designed to reduce the viscosity of asphalt binder at high temperature while strengthening the asphalt crystalline structure at low temperature.
RH-WMA contains most of the benefits of Warm-Mix Technology in the industry; including reduction in production temperature without compromising pavement performance. In addition to these benefits, the following are the unique advantages identifiable with RH-WMA:
- STABILIZED PERFORMANCE: RH-WMA provides a more stabilized performance at high and low temperatures
- IMPROVED SOLUBILITY: RH-WMA can easily dissolve into asphalt binder through a simple blending process within minutes without the occurrence of segregation.
- IMPLEMENTED WITH RUBBER ASPHALT: RH-WMA modifier allows a temperature reduction of 30 ºC during production and more than 40% decrease in viscosity.
- PROVEN PERFORMANCE: RH-WMA-AR delivers proven performance through field evaluation – reduction in production temperature and improved rutting performance of asphalt pavement (more than double) at high temperatures.
- COST EFFECTIVE: RH-WMA is the most cost-effective additive compared to similar WMA technology used in this industry.
Paving the “Green” way: RH-WMA allows the manufacture of Asphalt Pavement Materials save up to half of energy and reduce as much as 50% of greenhouse gas during the production RH-WMA can be used for all traditional hot-mix applications. With additional advantages identifiable with RH-WMA, it has been used in such demanding applications.
- Interstate highways, airfield, tunnel and residence area.
- Cold regions that required extended pavement construction season.
- Asphalt pavement using rubber asphalt or stiffer binder: difficulty in compaction due to thin surface layer.
- Heavy traffic road that requires paving with WMA technology.
- Pavement construction under strict environmental controls.
- Reduced aging of asphalt during the production to increase the service life of pavement.
- Pavement contains recycled asphalt pavement (RAP).
MODEL OF RH-WMA MODIFIER®
To optimize the applications of RH-WMA for different pavement projects, three kinds of RH-WMA were developed:
WARM MIX ASPHALT
THE TEAM BEHIND THE INNOVATION
DR. GOH SHU WEI, PH.D,
CO-FOUNDER OF UNIVERSAL PAVE
Dr. Shu Wei Goh received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering at Michigan Technological University. He co-founded Universal Pave in 2012 with the vision of bridging the transportation infrastructure technology and industry gap. Prior founding the the company, Dr. Goh earned numerous awards and recognition including a Distinction Award from publishing over 50 papers during Master Study, the first Malaysian to receive the FHWA USDOT David Eisenhower Fellowship in USA.
RESEARCH INSTITUE OF HIGHWAY
MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT, P.R. CHINA
RIOHMOT, China is the sole national level research institute in the transportation area. The mission of this institute is to lead research and development in the areas of pavement, bridge, transportation engineering, intelli- transportation system, public transportation, transportation environment preservation,etc. The institute owns and oversees the operation of one of the best experimental facilities in Asia for comprehensive transportation- related experiments.